Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Case Study: Part 7, PUBLISHING

I have completed my book and am now at the publishing stage. I am finding this the most difficult part of the whole process and am learning a lot of valuable business skills along the way. As I have stated in my blog description my aim is to create and publish a book myself without a publisher. There are two main reasons for this.

Reason 1: I believe I can make more money doing it myself. Publishers take a large percent of your profits and the arrangement is to benefit them more than the creator. I aim to create a range of books and a growing cash flow through creating my own business.

Reason 2: I want to pave the way for other aspiring authors and illustrators so they too can earn a reasonable living from their work.

So I’m now figuring out how to publish my book. I have decided I want the book to be available on iTunes for people to download to their apple devices and maybe Android devices. I also would like it in print so I can travel around New Zealand selling them at different events etc as well as through my own online store. I want to have access to large print runs to sell wholesale if I am given the opportunity. So this means I need the book in a few different formats.

I am not worrying about book shops at this stage as they are not necessarily the best place for selling books. They demand a return policy which means they can return the books to me if they don't sell it and I have to return their money. They also hold thousands of other books meaning my book will be in direct competition with all these books.

As a self publisher I am cutting out a lot of the middle men. I am choosing to target the end buyer of the book. The Mums, Dads, family and friends of my books target market 4-6 year olds. This means a lot of my sales will be face to face or through the internet. Not via distributors and book buyers.

I will publish a separate article about the different formats I am creating and my findings on the best deals.

No comments:

Post a Comment